September 23, 2006
Experienced Interaction Designer and Community Manager offering:
- Proven interactive media production and marketing skills honed since the birth of the Web in 1993.
- Experienced blog designer, author, and community manager. My serendipit-e.com domain of 28 individual and group blogs (12 are my personal blogs) currently ranks 42,000 on Technorati.com. One private listserv I manage has been in existence more than 5 years.
- Web 2.0 technology research into social media and the grassroots citizen media movement, including a detailed method on how to integrate blogs and interactivity into PR, marketing, and workplace cultures.
- An enthusiastic speaking and leadership style that motivates and inspires collaborative groups to exceed project goals and creatively push beyond existing limits.
- An adept multi-tasker and quick learner, able to facilitate projects through rapid prototyping and thorough usability testing.
- Advanced writing and communication skills, adaptable to short and long form media genres and a wide range of publishing venues, from technical writing to journalism and PR, blogs, and literary and scholarly journals.
Writer; Researcher/Associate Writer: (Aug 2001 to present) CNN Headline News, Atlanta, GA.
Started one month before 9/11 and wrote the on-screen headline ticker from 2001-2003, through some of the most incredible breaking news in history. Cyberculture/cult media columnist for HLN on CNN.com: "Buzz Factor" and "Hot Wired." Freelance writer, CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360.” Developed RSS feed/intranet HLN blog on spec, 2003. Successfully completed copy editor training, 2005.
T. Anthony Pollner Distinguished Professor: (Fall Semester 2005) University of Montana School of Journalism, Missoula, MT. Took leave from CNN Headline News for a one-semester endowed visiting professorship, teaching a seminar on weblogs and citizen journalism. Co-advisor to student newspaper for RSS-based redesign of its online edition. 300+ attended public lecture delivered for the endowment.
Assistant Professor: (1998-2002) Department of English, MA Professional Communication Program (MAPC), Clemson University, Clemson, SC. In addition to teaching and research, received a grant to create and direct the PSA Interactive Resources Studio for Clemson Public Service Activities (1998-2001). Implemented a redesign of the PSA web site portal and about a dozen PSA client sites with 4 grad assistants and 2 student programmers. Approximately $100,000 funded over 3 years. nutball.com/archive/psaportal/ie/index.htm
Web/Computer Contractor/Consultant: Sample Clients: (1998) Cisco Systems, Albany, NY branch. Created database for the NYS government contract to access through a local node of the Cisco Intranet. (July 1995) UNISYS Transportation Sector Marketing Group, Bluebell, PA.
Design & Marketing Assistant: (1997-98) Rensselaer Office of Continuing & Distance Education. Handled design & production for all print and Web publications.
Graphic Designer: (1996-97) Lighting Research Center, School of Architecture. Rensselaer Polytechnic. DTP for research publications & large posters. Technical schematics, photo-editing, illustration. Poster designs won Society of Technical Communication award.
Marketing & Recruitment Grad Assistant: (1995-96) Electronic Media, Arts, & Communication (new program). Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY. EMAC inaugural web site received Best of RPInfo award, 1996. Won the Rensselaer Founder's Award (highest award given at RPI) for work with EMAC.
Ph.D. Rhetoric & [Technical] Communication: Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, 1998. GPA 4.0. The first “born digital” (no paper) webbed dissertation (cyberculture ethnography) in the U.S. Permanent site is required in graduate seminars both within & outside the USA. Interviewed in New York Times article on cult TV. www.nutball.com/dissertation
Master of Fine Arts, Creative Writing, Poetry: University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, 1990.
Bachelor of Arts: University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire, 1985. Major: Journalism. Minor: English.
CSS/HTML/XML | All Major Blog Platforms | Photoshop/Illustrator
Quark/Framemaker | InDesign/Dreamweaver | Flash/Director
iNews/Final Draft/Final Cut Pro | UNIX/PHP/MySQL
PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES available upon request.
A complete portfolio of my work, including project URLS, is at www.serendipit-e.com/boeseportfolio.
Academic credentials and references available from Interfolio.com upon request.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Resume':